Funding Your IRA With a Transfer - Here's How It's Done
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Transferring an IRA from another provider is tax-free and easy. We are here to help you every step of the way.
Whether you are frustrated with your current provider, paying too much in fees, or want more investment freedom, an Entrust Self-Directed IRA may be the answer you are looking for.
Here's how you can transfer your IRA in 3 easy steps.
Step 1: Open an Entrust Self-Directed IRA
- Open an account on our online portal here or
- Fill up our Account Application Form here or
- Call Entrust at 1 (800) 392-9653
Step 2: Transfer your funds to Entrust
- Contact your current custodian regarding transferring your IRA to Entrust. Be sure to get all the following questions answered from them:
- Does the custodian require an original Transfer Form? (also known as “wet ink”)
- Can Entrust provide a copy of the Transfer Form?
- Do they need the form mailed or faxed?
- Do they need a medallion?
- If yes, do they need an original medallion or would a clear copy of the medallion work?
- Make sure your custodian knows the dollar amount you are transferring to Entrust (if you are transferring cash make sure the amount requested is liquidated and available)
- Fill out the Account Transfer Form:
- Via the Entrust Client Portal:
- Go to the Entrust Client Portal, go to the “Transactions” tab, click on “Fund Account” on the left side then select “Transfer”
- Fill out the Account Transfer Form and print it
- Submit the Account Transfer Form via mail, email or fax to Entrust with all required documentation including valid identification and statements (see details under “via paperwork”)
- Remember to submit 'per your custodian’s request', you must seek permission in order to submit these documents
- Via paperwork:
- Download the Account Transfer Form here
- Form Requirements:
- First, make sure you have a valid identification (ID) on file. If you did not open your account online, make sure we have a correct form of ID by calling our Client Services Department at 800-392-9653, option 1. You can find out which types we accept here.
- Include a complete statement (no older than 6 months) with your current custodian. Make sure it contains the following:
- Your name
- Custodian name
- Account number and type of account(s)
- Please send Entrust all documents via your custodian’s request:
- Via the Entrust Client Portal:
Mail: The Entrust Group, 555 12th Street, Suite 900, Oakland, CA 94607
Fax: Please write "Attention Transfers" on cover page and fax to (510) 587-0960
Email: (only submit via email if accepted by your custodian)
Please submit your completed form and all pertaining documents to Transfers@TheEntrustGroup.com
- Once we receive your completed form we will submit it to your current custodian within 2-3 business days. You will receive a confirmation email once we have submitted it to your custodian.
- Once we have received your funds you will be notified by email and your funds will be available in your account
- If you have not heard from us within 7-10 business days please contact your custodian for an update on your transfer request submitted by Entrust
Step 3: Select your self-directed investment for your Entrust Self-Directed IRA
- Start investing by choosing the type of alternative investment you want to invest in. You can see your options here.
- Contact your Business Development Manager (BDM) at Entrust for more instructions on the next step.
Once we have received your funds, you will be notified by email and your funds will be available in your account. If you have not heard from us within 7-10 business days, please contact us for an update on your account.
For additional information about contribution limits, visit our IRA Contributions Limits page here.